Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The skirt I made yesterday


This skirt took me approximately 5 hours to make. I got the idea when my friend picked out the patterned fabric and wanted me to make her a skirt out of it. For her skirt we did the yoke in a matching red cotton. I ended up having her buy twice as much printed fabric as needed, and I fell in love with it so I bought the remaining from her. The fabric was sold bye the "section", each section being the equivalent of two rectangles (approx 26 inches wide by 45 inches). This skirt required two sections. For my yoke I used a stretch denim that I had on hand, and for the tie some red knit fabric I had on hand. I wanted to use up some red rick rack that I had lying around, and it seemed to go with the whimsy of the patterned fabric. I gathered the fabric into the yoke so as not to loose any of the awesome pattern. I believe the selvage called the fabric "Recesss - Fun with Dick and Jane Collection" by Moda. I threw it away before I could copy it exactly (silly me).

I also added a square pocket approx 12x12 inches on the right hand side of the skirt. The volume of the patterned fabric mostly hides it, although it does want to stick out just slightly. The trickiest part of this skirt was figuring what order to sew the pocket on so that the rick rack would look continuous. I drafted a pattern for the yoke, and let the bottom fabric become its own pattern.

I really enjoy the length and the lightness of this skirt!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Fun! And I recognize that fabric! And that's a really big pocket! :)

LadyT said...

yeah. Maybe next time I will try for an 8x8 pocket. That sounds a little better.

jaelte said...

Hawt!